Going to the dentist may not be pleasant for some people, but for an estimated 9%-15% of Americans, it’s not just unpleasant, it’s downright terrifying. dental anxiety and phobia prevents them from having a good experience at the dentist. It can also delay them getting needed treatment or maintenance cleanings and exams.
Dental anxiety is fairly common since many people have some fear when going to the dentist; however, dental phobia is something altogether different, since it can literally cause patients to delay or refuse to go see the dentist.
It’s best to speak to Dr. Peter Karsant, if you or a loved one suffers from dental phobia. We can help, so the phobia doesn’t get worse and other problems arise, such as gum disease and early tooth loss.
Symptoms of Dental Phobia
Here are several symptoms of dental phobia:
– Thoughts of dental visits that can make you physically ill
– Increased nervousness while waiting for treatment
– Intense thoughts of anxiety and panic when anyone tries to put objects into their mouth
– You feel like crying when thinking about or talking to anyone about going to the dentist
– Have a hard time sleeping the night before your appointment
Reasons for dental phobia may stem back to a past bad experience when you felt extreme pain, feelings of helplessness and loss of control, embarrassment, or unknown expectations for a certain procedure. Whatever it was that triggered those intense feeling, it can be treated.
If you or a loved one suffers from dental phobia in San Francisco, California, and surrounding areas, please contact Karsant Dentistry. Our dental team will ensure you are treated with the utmost in best dental care. Call us at 415-333-3919 today.